ROMAN WALLS AND DEFENSE TOWERS OF BARCINO
The second of the Roman city walls in Barcelona were set up in the late III century and brought to completion in the early IV century. The wall gate is flanked by towers that form a gap about 10 metres long the one to the other, similarly to the gate in Plaça Nova.
The wall would stretch from streets Carrer de Gignàs and Carrer Regomir in Plaça Nova (at the end of Avinguda de la Catedral) with our backs facing the sea and our gaze in direction of the mountains, across streets Carrer de la Tapineria and Carrer del Subtinent Navarro (who, prior to the war of 1936-1939, had intended to name this the Roman Walls streets, a fairly significant detail) and end in streets Carrer dels banys nous, Carrer de la Palla and Carrer Avignon, with our backs facing Besòs to Llobregat.
Interestingly enough, this Roman wall was built enlarging by a few metres an earlier lower wall from which it differs slightly for its octagonal plan, but is similar in its Roman stylisation and outer perimeter; much of its elements were retrieved, including decorative, and therefore reused as a basis to start from. The northern and eastern sectors are preserved in fairly good condition, as are the two cylindrical towers in Plaça Nova, that were raised in the XII century and flanked the Porta Pretoria known as the Portal del Bisbe in the middle-ages.
The sector of the wall that we may perhaps go as far as to consider the most intriguing is the portion belonging to the Plaça de Ramon Berenguer el Gran; characterized by the superimposition of medieval construction above Roman, vaults extending from one tower to the other; it is here that the Santa Agatha Chapel stands.